Jennifer E. Owen
President , B.A., M.A.
Jennifer E. Owen has worked as a Forensic recorded evidence media analyst since 1995. She was a Chief Forensic Examiner at Owl Investigations, Inc. and specialized in Audio and Video Analysis and Voice Identification. In 2001, she obtained her Master’s degree in Criminal Justice. In 2010, she started her own company, Owen Forensic Services, LLC. Ms. Owen has analyzed hundreds of Audio, Video and Voice Identification cases, including forensic transcription, still images, and meta-data recovery of digital files.
Owl Investigations Inc. New York City, New York 1995 – 2010
500 5th Avenue
M.A., Major – Criminal Justice:
Monmouth University, 2001
B.A., Major – Political Science:
Rider University, 1995
New York Institute of Forensic Audio & Video
Completion of Voice Identification Course - 2005
Certification as Voice Identification Examiner - 2006
New York Institute for Forensic Audio & Video
Yearly class focusing on Audio, Video and Voice Identification.
1995 - present
- Private citizens
- Private Investigator’s
- Private attorney’s
- Public Defender’s
- Prosecutor’s Office
- District Attorney’s
- Insurance Agencies
- Insurance Fraud Investigators
- Police and Sheriffs’ department’s
- State and Federal Government Agencies
- News Media
- Forensic Audio Analysis – Authenticity Examinations©, American College of Forensic Examiners, 5th Annual Scientific Conference, December 1997 Tom Owen, Ernst Alexanderson and Jennifer E. Owen
- Voice Disguises©, American College of Forensic Examiners, 5th Annual Scientific Conference, December 1997 Tom Owen and Jennifer Owen
- Experts and their Challenges, 1999, American College of Forensic Examiners, 7th Annual Scientific Conference, New York City, New York
- Law and the Expert Witness-, American College of Forensic Examiners, 13th Annual Scientific Conference Tom Owen, Michael McDermott, Jen Owen, Jill Lindsay 2005
- Law and the Expert Witness – the Admissibility of Recorded Evidence, 2005, Audio Engineering Society 26th Annual Conference of Audio Forensics, July 6th-11th, 2005 Denver, Colorado
- Forensic Digital Recovery-American College of Forensic Examiners, Kansas City, MO Oct 4-7th ,2007 Tom Owen and Jennifer Owen
- Forensic Audio Enhancement and Authenticity Analysis: Thomas Edison until Today- American College of Forensic Examiners, San Diego, CA Sept 3-6, 2008 Tom Owen and Jennifer Owen.
- The History of Voice Identification and Video Authenticity- The University of New Haven, CT The Henry Lee Institute of Criminal Justice, September 12, 2009 Tom Owen and Jennifer Owen
- Voice Identification 2010, The American College of Forensic Examiners, Orlando, FL September 22nd-24th, 2010
- Panel Demonstration: Work Flow of Digital Recorded Evidence, Recovery, Analysis and Environment, Part 1 and Part 2. Tom and Jennifer Owen, American College of Forensic Examiner’s International, 2011 Executive Summit Branson, Missouri October 12-14th, 2011
- Panel Demonstration: Video Enhancement and Voice Identification, Jennifer Owen- Moderator, American College of Forensic Examiner’s International, 2015 Executive Summit Santa Barbra, California August 6th-8th, 2015.
- Women In Forensics: The Digital Detectives - Jennifer Owen The New Jersey Women’s Writer’s Association Woodbridge, NJ November 21, 2015
- The Digital Detectives-The Key to Understanding Digital Evidence by Jennifer Owen, PI Magazine.com, July/August 2018, #158, pages 24-27.
Audio Engineering Society, Member
International Speech Communications Association, Member
International Association for Identification Member
International Association for Identification, New Jersey Chapter Member
- New York Institute for Forensic Audio, Video and Voice Identification Attended annually for further instruction yearly seminars, Instructor 2010-present. Audio Enhancement, Audio Authenticity, Video Enhancement, Video Authenticity, Voice Identification 1995-present
- Medicolegal Death Investigator Training Course, 5 hours, September 23rd, 1995, Florida Association of Medical Examiners and Investigation for Identification
- Basic Facial Sculpture Workshop, October 30th-Novermber 3rd, 1995, The University of Oklahoma College of Continuing Education
- Medicolegal Death Investigator Training Course, April 22nd-26th, 1996, Saint Louis University School of Medicine
- Advanced Facial Reconstruction, May 6th-10th, 1996, Scottdales Artist’ School
- Ocean Systems Avid Express for windows 2000 detective Training (May 2003)
- Star Witness Signalscape, FreezeFrame, Video Analysis training Albany NY 2010
- Digital Summit International
- Salient Stills Workshop. VF Pro. Las Vegas, Nevada August 2011, Las Vegas Sheriff’s Dept. Basic Audio Enhancement, 4 credit hours Las Vegas, Nevada August 25, 2011
- Basic Audio Enhancement- Digital Summit International August 25, 2011, 4 credit hoursNational Center for Media Forensics
- Forensic Authentication of Digital Audio Course- Denver, Colorado. June 11-13th, 2012
- Resolution Video
- Forensic Video Analysis with Ikena Motion DSP- Napa Valley, California. May 22-24th, 2012
- Digital Video Processing Techniques- New England State Police Network March 26th-March 28th, 2013.
- Resolution Video
- DC Live Audio Forensics, Data Recovery, and Biometric Voice Identification Seminar, April 2013
- Adobe Photoshop for Forensic Video Analysts- Resolution Video, Instructor George Reis Sept 23rd-26, 2014
- Introduction to Forensic Audio Analysis, Resolution Video Ohio September 29th- October 1st, 2015
- The Adobe Photoshop Conference, Edison NJ Continuing Education 6 CEU’s April 6, 2016
- Salient Sciences, DAC School of Forensic Audio and Video Training, April 25-29th, 2016 VideoFocus Pro and Cardinal MiniLab
- Introduction to FFMPEG, Resolution Video June 16th, and 17th, 2016 Cincinnati, Ohio
- Input Ace- Forensic Video Workflow Training January 30-31st Ocean Systems Burtonsville, MD
- DVR Assessment and Recovery Training, 24 hours, March 13th- 17th 2017 Ocean Systems Burtonsville, MD
- Clear ID Workshop with Adobe Photoshop, 16 hours March 13th -17th 2017 Ocean Systems Burtonsville, MD
- Creating Composite Images with Adobe Photoshop and Bridge, 7 hours, August 6th-12th, 2017, IAI Conference, Atlanta, GA
- Forensic Image Comparison, 5 hours, August 6th-12th, 2017, IAI Conference, Atlanta, GA
- Face Comparison using Facial Recognition Systems, 4 hours, August 6th-12th, 2017, IAI Conference, Atlanta, GA
- Advanced Imaging Workshop, 4 hours, August 6th-12th, 2017, IAI Conference, Atlanta, GA
- New York Institute of Forensic Audio, Video, & Voice Identification, NY and NJ Assisted in lesson plan preparation, prepared final examinations, and organized course content. 1995-present, Instructor 201-present.
- Senior Research Assistant for the Owen Study Collected voice exemplars and used voice Identification theory and applications in a 400-participant study. Trained in Voice ID 700, Multi-speech, Easy Voice Biometrics, analog recording digital recording w/USB, and broadband transfer technologies. Responsible for maintaining recording equipment, Excel database of voice exemplars, WAV files of participants, and Access files of all corresponding personal information. Over 15,000 one to one comparisons within the study.
- Forensic Sculptor/Facial ReconstructionCompleted both the basic Facial Sculpture Workshop and advanced facial reconstruction under the supervision of the world renowned forensic sculptor and legend, Betty Pat Gatliff. I have used the techniques practiced in the workshops for enhancement drawings from videotape in several cases.
- Organized the annual scientific seminar New York Institute of Forensic Audio, Video, and Voice Identification from 1995-present.
- Instructor for the New York Institute Forensic Audio, Video & Voice Identification from 2010-present.